17 January, 2009

Calendar Module for SilverStripe

This post is about some recent open source stuff I did. I am a fan of SilverStripe for about two years. After setting up my own IT company I did a lot of projects with the use of SilverStripe, for those I had to write new modules, widgets, and themes to customize the CMS.

From the first day I start working with SilverStripe I started to contribute them, mainly with Widgets, but after setting up the free template portal of whynotonline.com I managed to contribute with some themes. Now on the (15th January) I managed to get approved my first module which is named as Calendar. Now it is listed on the SilverStripe Official Module Directory. I have been dreaming about this occasion, to do a good module, and to get the approval is not something easy, you have to make a lot of sacrifices for that, just like cutting down your sleep, working extra hours, reading about technologies, inventing algorithms, etc. Anyway I am really happy with what I have achieved.

Also I found a new project from whynotonline.com, which is an implementation of the Calendar Module, and that has gone live now too. Sometimes rather than reading documentations and user manuals, it is better to see a real world implementation of a software. If you think that same click here to see the website.

Also I want to thank my best friend also one of my batch mates at the university Lakshan in this occasion, he is the one who introduced me to the SilverStripe Open Source CMS, it was on somewhere in the beginning of 2007. He is my first open source guru, as friend he has been helping me a lot.

And then Dasun, my business partner, good friend. I started the whynotonline.com with Dasun, he has been an interesting character at the university. He always helps me with work. Many thanks Dasun.

So at last I would love to invite you to use my module, and join to club! :)

5 comments:

chillu said...

Hello Nivanka, congrats to your calendar module! Funny that you know Lakshan, its always interesting to find out those connections between community members. How is he doing?

It would be great to see some unit tests for your module. For example, you could assert that only days with CalendarEvent records have the event linked through the template.

Keep up the good work!
Ingo

laktek said...

Cool work machan.. This is a neat addition which will help SilverStripe users to build sites with much more context sensitive information.

Keep up the good work and share the love for FOSS

Nivanka said...

Hi Ingo,

I would love to do some unit tests, and to make this module really useful for the community.

About Lakshan, he is one of my batch mates, and he is the one who introduced me to SilverStripe.

Kishantha said...

Hi Nivanka, great stuff. How about a drop down with year and month so that anybody can jump to a particular month easily.
Cheers Mate,

Nivanka said...

Thats a nice idea, so then the users can navigate easily through the calendar. Thanks