20 September, 2010

Easy steps to set up SVN

At SilverStripers I have been working on setting up SVNs for 100 times, every two weeks I am setting up a new SVN repo, sometimes I have to install SVNAdmin and start from the scratch. Then there comes Capistrano for deployments, etc. etc.

Though that it will be good to maintain a blog post on how to set up SVN as then I can refer to it anytime I need, and thought it will be useful for others if I blog it here. Following are the steps I use.

Installing a SVN admin

this is a good source (http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html)

I mainly use Fedora and Debian

If it is Fedora
$ yum install subversion

If it is Debian

$ apt-get install subversion

Alright I've got the SVNAdmin now.

1. Creating a repository

svnadmin create /repo

2. Create users

vi /repo/conf/svnserve.conf

configure the svn ( these are some basics )

anon-access = none
auth-access = write
password-db = passwd

add the password file

vi /repo/conf/passwd

In that file add the users

username = password

3. Start SVN

svnserve -d

1 comment:

Tharushi Anna said...

Very interesting post it is very nice, We are also web Designers we are expert in our business and welcome you to visit our website. Thanks You for lovery information.